Pillows that stay cool have recently appeared in the market and become a favorite choice of many households worldwide. Unlike the traditional pillows, the cooling pillow, also known as a chillow, is often a memory foam based slab combined with a heat-resistant silica gel pack to absorb the constant body heat from the body, therefore, keeping you cool for the whole night. Now you must be wondering what is the best cooling pillow?
Lets find one that is best for you.
The Best Cooling Pillows of 2017
- The Best Cooling Pillows of 2017
- Reviews of the Top Rated Cooling Pillows
- 1. PharMeDoc Contour Pillow with Cooling Gel and Removable Case
- 2. Comfort Revolution Hydraluxe Pillow
- 3. Sensorpedic Pillow with Ventilated iCool Technology
- 4. Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Pillow
- 5. Ghost Pillow
- 6. Cr Sleep Gel Memory Foam Contour Pillow for Sleeping Cool
- 7. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow
- 8. Equinox Pillow with Cooling Gel Technology
- Advantages of a Chillow
- What to Consider before Buying a Cooling Pillow
- Final Words
Reviews of the Top Rated Cooling Pillows
Before buying a pillow that stays cold, reading our chillow review ensures that you get the best cooling pillow to get yourself a good night’s sleep.
Without further delay, let’s get started with our cooling pillow reviews.
1. PharMeDoc Contour Pillow with Cooling Gel and Removable Case
This pillow with cooling gel from PharMedoc gives soft, squishy and extreme comfort to the head and neck and is highly recommended for side sleepers. The pillow is made by Aloe vera technology cover which gives softness and plushness sensation, and the memory foam is also certified by Certipur so you will never worry about the pillow quality.
With the contour design, the pillow helps in pain relief, especially people who suffer neck pain, back pain, and shoulder pain. Consumers claimed this chillow is an ideal contour pillow that could allow them to sleep restfully and wake up energetically. This pillow is also lightweight which makes it the best cooling pillow on Amazon.
- Aloe Vera Cover – Breathable Memory Foam to Promote Airflow & Restfulness
- Cooling gel pack – Helps with eliminating hot flashes dispersing body heat.
- CertiPUR certified – Dust Mite Resistant, Free from Phthalate, Latex, Lead & BPA
- Therapeutic design- Effective for Pain Management, Shoulder Pain & Sleep Paralysis
- Best cooling pillow for hot flashes
- Weighs only 4.3 pounds
2. Comfort Revolution Hydraluxe Pillow
Are you looking for cold pillows for hot flashes? This is another best temperature regulating pillow layered with Hyrdaluxe gel offered by Comfort Revolution. The advanced gel technology offers a perfect position for your head that keeps your muscles relaxed. The revolutionary pillow ensures that you get a comfortable sleep for the whole night long.
The hydraluxe pillow with cooling gel technology and breathable mesh cover makes it the best pillow for hot flashes.
- Revolutionary to offer temperature-controlled sleep
- Suitable for all weathers
- Refreshing gel and mesh cover ensures air circulation for a good night’s sleep
- Made with Cool Cerulean Gel Bubbles
- Weighs 8 pounds
- Best pillow for night sweats
If you don’t want to use it for traveling, this is your best best.
3. Sensorpedic Pillow with Ventilated iCool Technology
Unlike other cooling pillows that use silica gel pack to provide cooling effect, SensorPEDIC pillow uses the latest ventilated iCool technology to give you a peaceful sleep. The odor-free sensor-foam memory foam offers an excellent support during sleep and disperses your weight evenly and in a better way as compared to traditional pillows.
When the outside temperature rises, it will absorb the heat and stay cool, but when the temperature goes down, it will release the heat so you will never feel cold (suitable for use in winters as well).
The unique selling point of this forever cold pillow is that it is made by luxurious materials in gusseted design, which guarantee a comfortable long-lasting sleep.
- Comes with a 100% Cotton polyester inner cover with added stain protection
- Outer cover weighs only 300 gms and ensures excellent ventilation
- Weighs only 4.6 pounds
- Odor-free sensor-foam
- Enhanced breathability with iCool technology
It is one of my personal preference, as it’s lightweight and odor-free (A bit pricey though).
4. Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Pillow
This Reversible Cool Gel Memory Pillow is made by a layer of cooling gel pack on side of a traditional memory foam pillow. The cooling gel pack will absorb the body temperature and regulate itself for the whole night and the memory foam will mold and conform to head shape and give you the support. This Reversible Chill Pillow uses open cell technology to promote air circulation to improve the breath-ability. The foam is non-allergenic so you will never worry of being irritated with this pillow.
Another selling point of this gel cooling pillow is that you can either choose to sleep on the memory foam side (which is medium-soft) or the gel cooling side (medium-firm), that makes it the best pillow to keep head cool.
One downside of this pillow is the initial odor. Some users comment that the odor may be strong but it can be removed by letting the it sit alone for 2-3 days. Afterwards, the odor will go away (this is a casual phenomenon of gel packed pillow). Apart from the odor part, there is no doubt that this is another best stay cool pillow on budget.
- It has a medium-soft feeling on foam side, medium-firm when you use the gel pack side
- Can be used from either side, equally comfortable
- 5 Inch thick and weighs 5 pounds
- Cool Gel technology promotes airflow to increase breath-ability and provide cooling comfort
- Comes with a removable, washable cover
5. Ghost Pillow
The Ghost Pillow employs the most advanced patent-pending thermos sensitivity technology that allows the pillow to sense heat and adjust temperature accordingly to keep your head cool. This real time cooling pillow makes sure you stay comfortable all night long and don’t experience any night sweats. Read this review of Ghost Pillow to explore further.
Some people might not be comfortable with the weight of the pillow. It’s a bit heavy. You might also experience some strong lavender smell but that goes away within few days of usage. If the strong smell is your only complain, I would recommend you use it for at-least 2 weeks.
- Packaged in a designer box
- 100 Nights trial i.e. Free return within 100 days of receipt. (Only on Amazon)
- Perfect design to support your neck and head
- The immediate coolburst airflow technology lets you feel the cooling effect as soon as you put your head in.
6. Cr Sleep Gel Memory Foam Contour Pillow for Sleeping Cool
This is not your ordinary pillow that stays cool. Cr Sleep chillow puts all other cooling pillows to shame. If you sweat and wake up at night, this is a must-have for you. It’s a medium firm pillow with memory foam that is perfect for almost all sleeping positions. You can get either a contoured one of a square standard. I personally prefer contoured design over the square standard because it offers better support for your head and neck.
You might experience the new memory foam smell for the first of couple of days but don’t worry. It will vanish after the first couple of night.
- Cooling gel keeps your head cool all night long
- Contoured design is ideal for people with neck and shoulder pain
- Doesn’t contain any toxic materials
- Made to fight against allergens like mold and dust mites
7. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow
This pillow from Sleep Restoration offers you the comfort of hotel quality bedding in a ridiculously low price tag. The No-Shift construction of this pillow allows you to comfortable rest your neck and head while you sleep. These pillows are dust mite resistant and totally free of any kind of chemicals and allergens. Not only they are fade resistant and stain resistant but you can wash these pillows in machine as well, so cleaning is not a problem.
Sleeping on this pillow feels like sleeping on the cloud. You may not like the packaging but the product inside is totally worth the money.
- Machine washable
- No-Shift Construction for maximum support
- Fade resistant and stain resistant
- Mold and mildew resistant
8. Equinox Pillow with Cooling Gel Technology
This pillow with new cooling gel technology is one of the latest cooling pillow that recently made appearance in the market. This pillow inherits all high-tech into itself. The memory foam part is certified by CertiPUR (until now, only a few brands are certified with this international body, such as Coop Home Goods), which is free of chemical solvents and heavy metals. Besides, the gel cooling pack is also renovated in honeycomb form (which will absorb more heat than the classic gel pack). The pillow is very durable and heavy so it will not go flat for a long time.
The downside of this pillow is that it is heavy (5.9 pounds) so it is not ideal for travelers.
- CertiPUR certified memory foam and honeycomb cooling gel for maximal cradling comfort and support.
- Right amount of fluff and thickness, don’t go flat for long time
- Washable cover
- Improved gel cooling design with more cooling effects
- 5 years limited warranty and 30-Day 100% Money Back Guarantee
Advantages of a Chillow
The Cooling Effect
Unlike traditional foam pillows, the Chillow is able to regulate the body temperature and give you a more relaxing sleep, which will help you to fall asleep faster and longer and you will not get bothered by the heat build-up during the night.
Save the Bill
Because you don’t need to turn on the air conditioner for the whole night and particularly if you have snoring issues, then the cool pillow will ultimately save your body from getting worse.
Sleep Long, Sleep Easy
Scientists indicate that sleeping at lower temperature will help us to fall asleep faster and reduce the number of sleeping interruptions during the sleeping time which ensures that you stay comfortable for a long time.
What to Consider before Buying a Cooling Pillow
Before buying any cooling, there are several factors that you need to consider because choosing a pillow that stays cool may be more complex than choosing a traditional pillow. To help you identify the best cooling pillow that will fit with your needs, make sure you have considered the following:
1. Materials of the cooling pillow
The materials of a cooling pillow is more sophisticated than traditional pillow because the manufactures will employ different type of material mixes to give the better cooling effect but still maintain the support and firmness needed. Therefore, a cool pillow may be filled with full slab memory foam with hollows (referred as ventilated gel foam) for more air circulation. This type of pillow normally firmer and can’t be washed by machine. The advantage of this pillow type is the cheap price.
But more often, the cooling gel packed is used on the top of memory foam in cooling pillow design. The gel pack will be able to absorb more heat and keep the pillow cool, and it is universally applied by hundreds of manufacturers worldwide. However, this type of pillow may have initial odor that you need to let them for air-out in a while before using. If you need a pillow for instant use, you will suffer the odor in a few days.
Surprisingly, there are cooling mats that you can put on the top of the pillow before covering it with pillow case which also gives cooling effect too. The cooling mat is cheaper and but you need a freezer to cold the mat before using.
2. Quality of the Materials
There is an International association, Certipur, that analyses and verifies the materials used in pillow and bedding industry. If a pillow is certified by Certipur, you can be pretty sure about the quality of the pillow that it is of high-standard, free of solvents and heavy metals.
3. Design of a Cooling Pillow
The design of each pillow will tailor different people needs. Some people love gusseted style but others only want a classic pillow. Therefore, you also need to aware of the design to avoid ordering unwanted pillow.
4. Washability and Warranty Period
Often, a cooling gel pillow isn’t machine-washable. They can only be spot-cleaned and this maybe cumbersome to some users. The lifespan of a cooling pillow is also an important factor too. You should check for pillows with 3+ years of warranty time.
5. Track Record and Buyer Reviews
There is valuable information that you can use to judge if a particular pillow is fit for you when buying online. When a pillow is universally rated with high stars, it is a good product and you can rely on it. Also, stick to famous brands such as Coop home goods, PharMeDoc, Classic Brand, Iso-Cool, etc. so you can avoid the junk.
Choosing a cooling pillow may sound complex at first sight, but after reading our buying guide, we hope you can have sufficient information that will help you to choose the best cooling pillow. If you keep my words, PharMeDoc Cooling Gel Pillow is the one you can rely on to give yourself a resounding night, no matter what sleeping style you may have.